Thanksgiving Delights-Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

As I've said many times before, I do not enjoy pumpkin pie. However, during Thanksgiving week I am always on the lookout for recipes that include pumpkin one way or another. This year, Will and I were invited to spend Thanksgiving weekend in Connecticut with our wonderful friends Abby, Diane, Mike and Tammy (plus many extended relatives). I wanted to bring something special for dessert, and I also wanted to try something new. I found this recipe of Paula Deen's-and really, how can you go wrong with Paula Deen at Thanksgiving-on the Food Network website, and it looked simple enough to throw together and transport from Boston to CT. I didn't actually end up trying it at Thanksgiving dinner (I had WAY too much to eat and I wanted to try Abby's delicious apple desserts) but the family members who did end up trying it seemed to enjoy it.
Source: Food Network

Ingredients:
  • 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
  • 1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
  • 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
  • 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
Directions:

1. Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. (I used the brand below).

2. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.
3. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.
4. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
5. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping.

6. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.(Which is what I did....made everything a little easier).

Comments

Popular Posts