Thursday, April 3, 2014
7 Quick Takes Friday-Injuries, Oils and Birthdays
2. Due to Will's injury, we had to skip out on the military ball, for obvious reasons. Will could barely walk, let alone sit in an uncomfortable chair for a long period of time listening to speeches and dancing. It was the right decision, but I'm not going to lie-I was really bummed that I couldn't wear my sparkly Rent the Runway gown.
3. I am officially an essential oils convert. Can I call myself an oily mom now? I wrote this post last week, and I'm going to do a follow-up pretty soon about how I incorporated EO into my daily routine. Every time someone in the house announced they had a headache, a bruise, a scraped knee, trouble trying to fall asleep, muscle pain...I totally turned into this person.
5. I am totally digging this blogger I found via the 7QT linkup a few weeks ago. I especially love her Catholic book club reading list; I'm currently reading Dedicated to God: An Oral History of Cloistered Nuns, by Abbie Reese. It's fascinating, and I'm very grateful to Tiffany for recommending so many interesting books.
6. It's been a frustrating couple of weeks, and it's not any one thing in particular. The move, the long days with two small children (especially a toddler who is invested in testing my patience at every turn), Will's injury, dealing with the military madness again...and I've been a little stressed. Okay, I've been a lot stressed. Will and I were talking last night, and he's worried about me because he said I just don't seem as happy as I used to be. It's not that I'm unhappy, but I will admit to feeling stretched somewhat thin lately. Will kept insisting that I needed to do something for me, whether it was going to the gym after he got home from work (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA), getting a massage (okay, I could get behind that), going out for drinks one night with my friend (again, I won't fight that suggestion too much). I finally concluded that I need something to look forward to each week, to get me through the rough spots. What is it that I really enjoy? Travel, reading, wine, movies, writing, wine, Pinterest, wine, belly dancing...wait! Belly dancing! That's it! When Will deployed back in 2006, shortly after our wedding, I was all alone in Germany with nothing to do once the work day ended. I signed up for a belly dancing class, and I.freaking.loved.it. It was fun, it was a great workout, it was a good stress release, and there are very few things that can't be cured by swinging your hips to beautiful Middle Eastern music. I've decided to take up belly dancing again, although I can't decide whether I want to attempt a class or practice in the privacy of my own home. In any case, I'm excited.
7. Major props to my mom for finding the absolute freaking cutest Easter clothes for Tony and Alessandra. I received a package from her today (with the oh-so-magical Janie and Jack sticker on the tissue paper), and I have to say...I can't wait to dress these kiddos up. Pictures most certainly to follow.
For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary!