Musings and recipes from a 30-something Catholic military wife and mama. Surely I've got this figured out by now.
Friday, January 31, 2014
7 Quick Takes-#$&%!@* Military, as told by GIFs
1. So. Will finally got his orders! In fact, he got them yesterday. At first, we were all:
2. Then we actually looked at his orders. Specifically, the report date. Will's original report date to Fort Benning was on March 3. The new report date? February 20. As in, a little over two weeks from now. So then we were:
3. Then we find out that the powers that be actually HAD Will's orders ready since the 21st. But they decided to wait until the 30th to give them to Will. You know, just for funsies. So once we found that out, we were like:
4. In the meantime, we're scrambling to change our plane tickets (we had booked a two-week trip back to Wisconsin to visit my family and our friends), cancel all of our services here in Shreveport, inform our landlords we were hitting the dusty road, and arrange for the movers to come and pack up all our worldly belongings. So this is what we looked like all last night and all of today:
5. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since we had Will's military orders in hand while doing the canceling of services, everyone took pity on us and no one gave us a hard time. So by mid-afternoon, Will and I felt like:
6. Unfortunately, it all kind of went downhill from there. Turns out the only day the movers can come is on Tuesday the 11th. What are we doing on Tuesday the 11th? Glad you asked! We're flying from Milwaukee, WI, to Dallas, TX and driving the three hours back to Shreveport! Once we realized that, we were all:
7. To top it all off, we have to find housing at Fort Benning ASAP. We're number 17 on the wait list for on-base housing, so we decided to try our luck with off base housing. I actually found quite a few lovely homes that are in our price range and in a safe area (confirmed by friends who were once stationed at Benning). So what's the problem? Apparently, even though these homes are on rental websites, people don't REALLY want to rent them. Not if it means returning my emails, at any rate. So I'm all:
So. Hopefully your week was better than mine! For more Quick Takes, check out Conversion Diary!