7 Quick Takes Friday-Celebrate Good Times!
|In a helicopter with his working dog, Cris. Iraq 2008.|
2. Since his branch is Armor, that means he will be attending BOLC (the school for his job) at Fort Benning, Georgia. Since the school will last a few months, we are authorized to join him. Now, when he actually will attend school, we don't know. Hopefully soon. He *should* find out by mid-December (but of course, we all know how that goes).
3. Today marked the end of Tony's third semester of Big Boy School (toddler speech and play therapy). It's hard to believe that just nine months ago, Tony was hardly talking at all. We knew he wanted to talk, but he seemed unable (or unwilling, frankly) to try to communicate any way other than pointing or fussing. To walk into his room in the morning and see him smile at me and say, "Good morning Mama!"...it melts my heart. Not to mention, it's a tremendous load off my mind. I spoke to the director at Tony's school today, and she said that Tony is the best speaker in his class, and he's ready to move up to the next level. In January (assuming we're still here in Shreveport), Tony will start classes with the 3-5 age group, for three hours twice a week. It's going to be hard having my little guy away from me six hours a week (four is weird enough!) but I think he's ready.
|I asked Tony to put his dinner dish in the sink. This is what he did instead. Hmm...|
5. Being that we're bombarded with trees, snowflakes, red, white, green, silver and gold decorations every time we walk into Target, I've had to begin the process of explaining Christmas to Tony. (I would have preferred to wait until after Thanksgiving, but retailers are working against me). I told him that we celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas, and if he's a good boy Santa will bring him gifts, etc. Heavy emphasis on Jesus. Before I put Tony down for his nap today, I asked him which book he would like me to read. He chose the Santa Claus book (why not, right?), and before I could even get to the first page, he said, "Christmas is coming! Lights, toys, Santa, cookies! And Jesus!" Huh. At least he's making the connection, right? It just wouldn't be Jesus's birthday without cookies.
6. We're going to have a quiet, family Thanksgiving this year, and I'm trying to figure out how to cook a Thanksgiving meal for 2 adults and one child. I can make a Thanksgiving dinner for a bunch of Italians. I've made a Thanksgiving dinner (by myself, thankyouverymuch) for all of Will's co-workers and their families. Not quite sure how I'm going to scale this down...
7. Any advice on potty training a stubborn 2-oh dear Lord, almost 3-year old would be greatly appreciated. It's not for MY child, of course not...*cough cough* It's, uh...for a friend. Yes. A friend.
For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary!