Crockpot Mocky Cheese

 So I actually posted this recipe yesterday, but the font decided to freak out on me and it completely blocked all the ingredients and directions. So much for that. Let's give this another try, shall we?? I recently joined Pinterest, and naturally I've already fallen prey to the "well I COULD do some housework and get an early start on dinner...but look at these amazing Christmas decorating ideas!" Before I know it, Tony is awake from his nap and I've done an astounding job of accomplishing absolutely nothing. However, I will say that I've found some incredible recipes on there so far, so I can continue to justify my Pinterest obsession. When I found a recipe for crockpot mocky cheese (my 3-year old Marisa term), I decided to give it a try. Normally I just make my tried and true simple macaroni and cheese recipe when I'm in the mood for something carb-y, but I like to branch out every now and then. The pros-I really, really like using my crockpot as much as possible. Quick, easy, and fewer dirty dishes. Also, you can pretty much turn the thing on and go about the rest of your day. I also enjoyed the different flavors, since I use different kinds of cheese for my mocky cheese recipe. Cons-the recipe called for 3 eggs, which I thought was a bit excessive. Will agreed. It had too much of an "eggy" taste and I think that kind of took away from the delicious cheesiness. Also, the flavors weren't bad, but I don't know if this is something I will really crave in the future. However, Tony liked it a lot, so if you have little kids who aren't too particular about macaroni and cheese, this might be the perfect dish for them!

Originally found on Pinterest
Source: A Whisk and a Prayer
If you wish to follow me on Pinterest, click here

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups milk
1 12-oz can evaporated milk (I prefer skim)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups of shredded cheese (I cheated and used the Five Italian cheese blend)
1/2 lb elbow macaroni, partially cooked and drained (cook for about 5 minutes)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Spray the inside of your crockpot with cooking spray or grease it with olive oil. Combine milk,evaporated milk, eggs, butter and salt in slow cooker, and whisk until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender for this.


 2. Add the shredded cheese (not the Parmesan) and macaroni, and freshly ground black pepper. Stir together with a spatula to coat evenly.
3. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and cook for another 2-2 1/2 hours, until custard is set in center and the macaroni is tender. You can leave the
keep warm setting on for up to 30 minutes.


Comments

Popular Posts