Sicilian Steaks


When I was back in Milwaukee this summer, I made my annual "buy out everything you can carry back with you" shopping spree at Glorioso's. This included muffaletta mix, a huge metal can of imported extra virgin olive oil, prosciutto, pancetta, salami, scamoza, provolone, fresh ricotta, and this bag of Sicilian bread crumbs I found in one of the aisles. I don't know why, but I've never made Sicilian steaks before. They are very easy to make, but I try not to eat too much red meat. (Sometimes I succeed with this goal. Other times...not so much). This past week was a "comfort food" week, as I'm currently battling insomnia and back pain. I wanted something quick, easy, delicious, and preferably not salad. Yes, those were seriously my requirements! We invited our friend Stephen over for dinner, and both he and Will agreed these steaks were delicious. Don't forget the sauce for topping!

Ingredients:

Approx. 6 very thin steaks
Italian bread crumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
flour
3 eggs
extra virgin olive oil
Parmigian Reggiano, for topping

Directions:

1. Heat about 3 T of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.

2. Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel.
3. Place the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl or container, and mix together. Dredge the steak through the flour mixture.
4. Beat the eggs together in a bowl, and dip the steak in the egg mixture, making sure it is completely covered.
5. Dredge steak through the Italian bread crumbs.
 6. Fry in saucepan for about 3 minutes on each side. Don't overcook! Remove from pan, and pour sauce over the steaks. Top with grated parmigiano reggiano.


Comments

Popular Posts