Stuffed Greek chicken breasts





I am been craving Greek food like you wouldn't believe lately; I seriously wake up in the morning dreaming about gyros, Greek salad with lots of crumbled feta and kalamata olives, and dolmades. There is a delicious Greek/Lebanese restaurant in town, and if it weren't for the somewhat hefty price tag I'm pretty sure I could be found eating lunch and dinner there every day. In the interest of our checking account, I decided to try and re-create as many of these dishes as possible in the comfort of my own kitchen. Make no mistake; I'm not going to buy a spit so I can roast a lamb on our front lawn, like the whole fam damily did in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Fortunately, there are many simple and equally delicious recipes to be found on the internet and cookbooks.

As soon as I saw this chicken dish, I knew I had to give it a try. Chicken stuffed with feta, kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes? Yes please! It was an absolutely amazing dinner served alongside garlic and rosemary quinoa. This recipe was incredibly easy, and it was very well-received by this pregnant girl and my husband. Unfortunately, Tony is going through a "picky toddler eating habits" stage and he wasn't willing to give the chicken a try, but I suppose there's always next time.
Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 2 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 (4 ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
  • 6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 10 pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
  • 4 strips roasted red pepper
Directions:

1. Whisk together the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, Greek seasoning, and lemon zest in a bowl.
2. Pound the chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Marinate the chicken in the lemon marinade at least 30 minutes.  
3. Meanwhile, stir together the feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and 1 tablespoon of oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl; set aside. 
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 

5. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Divide the stuffing mixture onto each piece of chicken. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Place onto a baking dish, seam-side down, and place two roasted pepper strips onto each stuffed breast. (I omitted the red peppers, because Will would have balked at that).
6. Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink, about 30 minutes. Remember to remove the toothpicks before serving. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts