Gettin' my Southern On: Ham and Beans
Source: All Recipes
- 1 pound dry great Northern beans
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
1. Rinse beans in a large pot; discard shriveled beans and any small stones. Add 8 cups of cold water. Let stand overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Return beans to pot and add ham, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley and water to cover.
3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender. Add more water if necessary during cooking time.