Asparagus and Gruyere Quiche

So, I apologize for the exceptionally ugly photo above. I'm one of those people who absolutely sucks at cutting pies, cakes, quiches, etc and I always destroy the very first piece. So, yeah. Asparagus season is upon us (and OH it makes me miss "spargel season" in Germany, where you would see the special asparagus menus at every restaurant!), and I'm taking full advantage. I'm also trying to cook more vegetarian meals lately, to cut both our grocery budget and my waistline. That way, I can justify the pricey Gruyere cheese. ;) I absolutely loved this dish, and even my grumbling non-quiche eating husband agreed that it was quite tasty. The only thing I didn't do was bother with the crescent rolls; I happened to have a frozen pie crust in the freezer and I wanted to get rid of it, so I used that instead.
Source: Spark Recipes

Ingredients:

1 Tbl butter


1 green onion (green parts only) julienned
salt and pepper
1 bunch or 1 pound asparagus


2 large eggs


4 large egg whites
1.25 Cups half and half
1.5 cans of reduced fat crescent rolls or 12 individual rolls
1 Cup (4 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


2. Unroll canned crescent rolls and separate into triangles. Lay each triangle into a 9-inch pie plate, slightly overlapping to create a pastry. Tuck edges over and flute if desired (set aside).

3. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Snap off hard ends of asparagus and chop the rest on an angle for 1/2" to 1" long pieces. Add to pan with green onion and cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until the asparagus is barely tender (set aside). 
4. In a bowl whisk together eggs and eggs whites with half and half and salt and pepper.
 5. Sprinkle pie crust with Gruyere cheese layer and asparagus mixture and gently pour in egg mixture.


6. Place in oven on lowest rack for 30 minutes.

7. Turn pie plate and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more until center is just set. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts