Caribbean Chicken

I finally did it-I mastered the (gas) grill. I don't know why it took me so long to get over my fear of grilling food, since I'm always willing to tackle pretty much any cooking project that comes my way. Maybe because grilling always seem like such a "manly" activity? I mean, every single year when Father's Day rolls around, companies like Williams Sonoma advertise their "perfect for Dad" grilling accessories; tools, rubs, aprons, sauces, etc. When we first bought our grill over in Germany, not only did I have to deal with my dad giving me endless grief over buying a gas grill (he's a die-hard charcoal guy), but my husband had absolutely no idea what he was doing. The first time he grilled burgers, he burned the hell out of them and we had to throw the whole batch away. When he did the exact same thing a few weeks later, I made the executive decision to ban Will from the grill (to be honest, he wasn't all that broken up about it), and I vowed to figure the damn thing out myself. I don't know what I was so paranoid about-it really isn't that difficult to figure out. Once you're used to the temperatures, once you remember to let the grill preheat for at least 10 minutes, and once you remember to use grilling spray or brush the racks with olive oil, everything falls into place. Now that summer is here, I'm taking full advantage of this beautiful weather and grilling every chance I get.

I knew this recipe would be a winner as soon as I saw it; healthy, spicy Caribbean chicken is the perfect summer weeknight dish. I was a little apprehensive about sticking the chicken in the oven after it was on the grill for almost 10 minutes, but I didn't have to worry. The chicken turned out juicy and tender, and completely cooked all the way through.
Source: Food Network

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup orange juice, fresh
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
  • 2 tablespoons jalapeno, seeded, diced
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated or chopped ginger
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 chicken breasts, bone and skin on
  • Lime wedges
Directions:

1. Puree all ingredients except chicken in food processor.
2. Add marinade and chicken to re-sealable plastic bag, mix thoroughly and let marinate, refrigerated, for 4 to 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

4. Heat grill to high, remove excess marinade from chicken and place on grill. Grill each side of chicken for 3 to 4 minutes then place on a pan and finish in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Squeeze a lime wedge over each piece of chicken and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts