Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Adapted from Food Network
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 breasts), sliced against the grain
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- About 1/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups broccoli, trimmed sliced stalks (about 1/4-inch thick) and medium florets (keep the 2 cuts separate)
- Serving suggestion: rice
1. Toss the chicken with about half the garlic and ginger, the soy sauce, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the sherry, and the sesame oil in a bowl. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat. Add the broccoli stems, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
ginger, 2 tablespoons of water, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, to taste. Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
8. Mound the stir-fry on a serving platter or divide among 4 plates; serve with rice.
Cook's Note: The garlic and ginger can be chopped together in a mini chopper to save time. (Since everyone knows I am all about saving time, I did just that).