Ginger Garlic Tofu

Lent has officially begun, and Will and I have once again pledged to give up sweets and unhealthy foods in general for the season (Will is taking it one step further and giving up beer. I'm impressed). I've been noticing the pounds creeping up on me, and I took a good, long look at our weekly menus, as well as our grocery budget. Will and I decided to replace two meat dishes every week with vegetarian or vegan options to begin our healthy makeovers. Over the past couple of years, we've discovered that we really like tofu dishes. Almost all of the recipes I've seen that include tofu have fantastic veggie accompaniments, as well as the right amount of spice and flavor. I think this recipe I tried had the right idea, but I could tell just by looking at the ingredients it was going to be a tad too bland for our tastes. I doctored it up by adding extra garlic, chili paste, a little extra soy sauce (our grocery stores don't carry tamari), and extra veggies I had in the fridge. Luckily, this is an easy recipe to alter, so adjust it according to your taste. Happy, healthy eating!
Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
  • 1 lime
  • 1 tablespoon tamari, or to taste (I used low sodium soy sauce)
  • 2 pounds firm tofu
Directions:

1. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. (As you can see, I also added shredded carrots and mushrooms).
2. Add tofu to the pan with tamari, and stir to coat. Cover, and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes. 
 3. Squeeze lime juice over tofu before serving. 
 4. Serve over white rice.

Comments

Popular Posts