Sunday, November 6, 2011

Split Pea Soup

This past month and a half has been somewhat rough. Long story short, I was hospitalized for a week (had to have emergency surgery, and the recovery took longer than expected). Luckily, my awesome sister in-law flew up to Boston from Austin, TX to help out. She was an absolute godsend; I seriously don't know how Will and I would have survived without her here. In addition to giving Will a hand with Tony, taking care of me while I recovered, the laundry, she also cooked some delicious meals. (Did I mention before how fortunate I am to have married into a family of fabulous cooks??). One of the things she made was this split pea soup, which I probably haven't eaten since I left my parents' house at 22. My mom would occasionally make this soup when I was growing up, and even though I enjoyed it I never made it for Will. However, Aimee's soup was so good I knew I would have to make it on my own. I was surprised at how easy it was! Even though the recipe only calls for a 1-lb ham hock, I had a (much larger) one left over from dinner a few nights before. It gave the soup a rich, wonderful flavor. I would make this again in a heartbeat.
Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
  • 1 pound dried split peas
  • 1 pound ham bone
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
  • This isn't included in the original recipe, but I also added a few carrots. 
Directions:

1. In a medium pot, saute onions in oil.
2. Add the split peas, ham bone, and enough water to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper. 


3. Cover, and cook until there are no peas left, just a green liquid, 2 hours. While it is cooking, check to see if water has evaporated. You may need to add more water as the soup continues to cook. 

4. Once the soup is a green liquid remove from heat, and let stand so it will thicken. Once thickened you may need to heat through to serve. (It should look like this).

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're doing better now. That must have been a scary week for you guys! That really was nice and supportive of Aimee to fly up and help.
    I haven't had split pea soup in forever. It sounds really good, now that the weather is getting chillier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was definitely unpleasant. I was SO grateful to have Aimee there. I was thinking about you when I posted this-it's so easy to make as a vegetarian dish, and I agree, it's such a good chilly weather recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 you are welcome!
    side note, i add a dash of white pepper.
    bet the extra ham was delicious! did you give some to tony? i bet he could've eaten the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. White pepper! Damn that's what I forgot. I knew it was something. You know, I never even thought about giving some to Tony, but I bet you're right. He would love it. I'm going to make this again soon, so I'll let him sample some and we'll see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete