Split Pea Soup
Source: All Recipes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 pound ham bone
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- This isn't included in the original recipe, but I also added a few carrots.
1. In a medium pot, saute onions in oil.
2. Add the split peas, ham bone, and enough water to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover, and cook until there are no peas left, just a green liquid, 2 hours. While it is cooking, check to see if water has evaporated. You may need to add more water as the soup continues to cook.
4. Once the soup is a green liquid remove from heat, and let stand so it will thicken. Once thickened you may need to heat through to serve. (It should look like this).