Nana's Rosemary Chicken

This is one of my favorite dishes to make in the fall; it's healthy, flavorful, easy, and cheap. My nana has been making this roast chicken for years, and it was something my mom frequently made at our house when I was growing up. When Will and I went to Marinette to visit the grandparents this past summer, my nana made this for Will and I when we stopped by her place with Tony. It was delicious as always-she didn't disappoint! The veggies are optional, but I LOVE roasted veggies with chicken, so I chose to include them in this recipe. I generally use carrots, red potatoes and onions but feel free to use whatever strikes your fancy.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs), rinsed thoroughly and patted dry
fresh rosemary, chopped (a LOT!)
salt and pepper, to taste
extra virgin olive oil
2 bulbs garlic, peeled
2 bay leaves
carrots, peeled
2 large white onions, peeled and quartered
4-5 small red potatoes, cubed

Directions:

1. Pour olive oil on the bottom of the roasting pan (enough to completely cover it). Add veggies to pan, and salt and pepper them.
2. Salt and pepper the chicken.
3. Cover the chicken with the cloves of garlic (make sure to add plenty to the cavity).

4. Sprinkle rosemary all over the chicken, and add the bay leaves.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Cover and cook for 2 hours (baste the chicken every 1/2 hour).

7. Uncover for the last 15 minutes of cooking, so the chicken looks like this.

Comments

Popular Posts