Company Pot Roast

A few months ago, when I decided to begin my weight loss journey, I purchased the Cooking Light Slow Cooker cookbook from Amazon. I love using my slow cooker, especially now when I have an active 6-month old who doesn't always allow me a leisurely amount of time to make dinner. This recipe looked-and tasted-absolutely delicious, although I had to make a few small changes. The biggest change involved the mushrooms. Our grocery store was out of the dried shittake mushrooms, so I just bought the regular ones and used them instead. (This worked out just fine). I also cut back on the amount of vegetables suggested in the recipe, simply because I didn't have enough room in my slow cooker. Will and I both loved this dish, and it was a tasty, healthy take on regular pot roast.
Source: Cooking Light Slow Cooker cookbook

Ingredients:

1 (2-lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut in half
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup beef broth
1 (.35 oz) package dried morsels or dried shittake mushrooms
1 T cracked black pepper
3 T sun dried tomato paste or regular tomato paste
2 medium onions (about 3/4 pound) quartered
1 (16-oz) package carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), halved
1 T canola oil
1 1/2 T all-purpose flour
3 T water

Directions:

1. Combine roast, soy sauce, and garlic in a large zip-lock plastic bag; seal bag, and marinate in regrigerator at least 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.

2. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; add mushrooms. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms through a cheesecloth-lined colander over bowl, reserving broth mixture.
3. Remove roast from bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast with pepper, gently pressing pepper into roast. Combine reserved marinade, mushroom broth mixture, and tomato paste; stir well and set aside.
4. Place mushrooms, onion, carrot, and potato in a 6-quart electric slow cooker; toss gently.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add roast, browning on all sides.
6. Place roast over vegetables in slow cooker.
7. Pour tomato paste mixture over roast and vegetables.
8. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours or until roast is tender. Place roast and vegetables on serving platter; keep warm. Reserve cooking liquid in cooker, increase heat to HIGH.

9. Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Add flour mixture to cooking liquid in cooker. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables. (I did not even bother with this. I had miscalculated the time to start the roast, so by the time it was actually finished, it was 9:30 pm and Will and I were starving. It still tasted great!).

Comments

Popular Posts