Middle Eastern Beef Kebabs

Whenever I hear people say something to the effect of "I eat heavy, greasy, fattening foods because they taste good" I become extremely annoyed. I've been on a quest to make healthy, exotic, and savory recipes since I had Anthony, and I haven't been disappointed yet. There are SO many wonderful healthy and delicious recipes out there, and I get frustrated with people who aren't willing to branch out and explore these delectable options. I purchased the Weight Watchers cookbook at Bed Bath and Beyond last month, and I've been having a lot of fun sifting through the recipes. I've mentioned in a few previous posts that I'm trying to expand my culinary horizons, and this recipe for Middle Eastern Beef Kebabs definitely fit the bill. The spices added an intense but not overpowering flavor to the meat, and the fresh vegetables mixed with the couscous was a perfect addition. This meal was so simple to prepare, and it's definitely on my "make again for a weeknight" dish list.
Source: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 onion, coarsely chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
dash cayenne
1 lb beef tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 white mushrooms
2 cups hot cooked whole wheat couscous

Directions:

1. To make marinade, combine chopped onion, lemon zest and juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, and cayenne in food processor or blender and puree.
2. Transfer marinade to large zip-close plastic bag; add beef. (I didn't have one on hand, so I just used a large bowl and covered it with plastic wrap. This worked just fine). Squeeze out air and seal bag. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
3. Spray broiler rack with nonstick spray. Preheat broiler.
4. Alternately thread onion wedges, bell peppers, mushrooms, and beef on 4 (12-inch) metal skewers.
5. Put skewers on prepared broiler rack and broil 5 inches from heat, turning, until vegetables are tender and beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with couscous.

Comments

Popular Posts