Boil me up some pasta, nice and hot,
I'm hungry and it's time to sup,
Boil enough pasta to fill me up."
From one of my all-time favorite childhood books, Strega Nona (Grandma Witch) by Tomie de Paola. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been mentally going over all of my favorite childhood stories that I want to read to our little one, and I remember I would beg my mom to read Strega Nona over and over again. When Will and I moved to Boston, we packed up a bunch of my old baby books to take with me. When I found the scribbled-on cover with Tomie de Paola peeking out of the moving box, I was overjoyed!
Source: Southern Living Cooking School, October 2004
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (16-ounce) box penne pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese blend*
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Garnishes: Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shavings, fresh basil sprigs
1. Sauté garlic in hot oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat 1 minute.
4. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta and reserved cooking liquid to Dutch oven, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. (I just found it easier to put the drained pasta in a new pasta bowl).