Source: Food Network
- 2 (7 to 8-ounce) packages sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 5 ounces granulated sugar
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce vegetable shortening
- 2 ounces finely chopped dry-roasted macadamia nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine the coconut with the sweetened condensed milk, salt and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl.
mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. (Side note-I received my Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer as a birthday gift from my parents last year, and I'm absolutely in love with it!).
cooling rack. Cool completely before topping.
simmer. Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a small metal or glass mixing bowl and set over the simmering pot. Stir occasionally until melted, then remove from the heat.