Orange You Glad You Tried This Bread?

A few weeks ago, our good friend Thomas came to visit Will and I. Thomas was fortunate enough to have some extended time off from work, so the 3 of us were able to hang out and enjoy Boston for six days (well, Thomas and I were. Will still had a fairly busy work schedule). I wanted to have some breakfast-y things around the house, and when I saw this recipe for Pumpkin Orange bread I immediately knew I should give it a try. What I find so interesting is that for the longest time, I hated anything pumpkin. Actually that's not completely true, I always hated pumpkin pie as a kid, and frankly I still do. I can't explain why, but it always tasted mushy and disgusting to me. It wasn't until I was in college and I started drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks that I slowly began to change my opinion; as it turns out, I love the flavor of pumpkin, I just don't like the pie. Thomas is the exact same way, and he was somewhat reluctant to try the pumpkin orange bread. However, once he tried it he said (in a very surprised voice), "I really like it!" So there you have it folks, this bread is able to convert even the most staunch pumpkin-haters! I will definitely be making this bread again while pumpkin is still in season.
Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:

  • 1 large orange
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup chopped raisins
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. 

2. Cut orange into wedges, and remove seeds. Place orange, peel and all, in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time. 
5. Stir in the pumpkin, water, and the ground orange. 
6. Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
7. Stir into batter just until moistened. 
8. Stir in nuts and raisins. 
9. Spoon into the prepared loaf pan.
10. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

Comments

Popular Posts