My Big Fat Greek Salad

Even though I was known throughout college as a terrible procrastinator, I have to say I've really morphed into "Super Organized and Ahead of Schedule Marisa" in terms of preparing for our baby. Our nursery is almost completely finished (pictures to follow in a few days), Will and I have taken the childbirth class, I've read as many birthing/child-rearing books as I can get my hands on, and last week we met with our baby's future pediatrician. Will and I liked her instantly, and I'm so relieved we found such a wonderful doctor (and only 10 minutes away from our place, too!) the very first time around. Since we met with her at 7:00 in the evening, I knew I wanted to make a  quick, easy, and healthy dinner once we returned home. I love Greek salads, but I haven't always been a huge fan of the accompanying salad dressings. This one, however, was delicious. I made the dressing before we left for the pediatrician's office, and when I got home all I had to do was chop up the veggies, cook the chicken, and dinner was ready. Despite the presence of kalamata olives and tomatoes, Will loved this salad and went back for seconds.
Source: Cooking Light, August 2001

Ingredients:

  • 1/4  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2  tablespoons  red wine vinegar
  • 1  teaspoon  sugar
  • 1  teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  garlic clove, minced
  • 4  (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • Cooking spray
  • 8  cups  torn romaine lettuce
  • 1  cup  sliced cucumber (about 1 small)
  • 8  pitted kalamata olives, halved
  • 4  plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
  • 2  (1/4-inch-thick) slices red onion, separated into rings
  • 1/4  cup  (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese (I used lowfat cheese)
Directions:

1. Prepare grill or broiler.

2. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl. Brush the chicken with 2 tablespoons dressing; set remaining dressing aside. (I modified this a bit; I didn't brush the chicken with the dressing, but I cut the chicken up and sprinkled it with Greek seasoning before cooking it. I thought it gave the chicken a stronger flavor).
2. Place chicken on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3. Combine the romaine lettuce and the next 4 ingredients (romaine lettuce through red onion slices) in a large bowl, and toss with the remaining salad dressing.

4. Divide the salad evenly among 4 plates; top each serving with sliced chicken, and sprinkle with feta cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts