La Nuit Francais
Source: Williams Sonoma
- 2 Tbs. vegetable or olive oil
- 4 large red onions, thinly sliced (I used white onions)
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- 4 leeks, including tender green portions,
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef or chicken stock or prepared broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 1⁄4 tsp.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 baguette slices, each 1⁄4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Gruyère or Comté cheese
1. Chop the onions (I used my handy food processor), set aside.
3. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.