These past couple of months, I've been going through my favorite books from my childhood in my head, trying to remember the ones that I have to read to our baby. One of the classics in our house was the story of Gus the Ghost, who, at the end of the book, threw a party at the house he haunted and served toasted cheese sandwiches. Every time my mom read this book to me, she would make me a grilled cheese sandwich. (My love of tomato soup came much, much later). I don't think that good tomato soup recipes are particularly easy to find, but this one was perfect. Low fat, just the right amount of cream, and perfect for dunking your grilled cheese sandwiches in! So anytime you're craving a hot bowl of tomato soup on a chilly, rainy day or you just want to re-create special childhood memories, look no further.
Source: All You, February 2009
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper
1. Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.