The Apple of my Eye

Oh my goodness. I cannot say enough good things about this delicious fall cake, so I will simply state that I had a LOT of happy, satisfied pregnant woman when I brought this treat to one of my childbirthing classes last weekend. We've been taking turns bringing in something to share with everyone during the break, and the weekend before two ladies brought in baklava (a personal favorite of mine). As soon as I saw this recipe for apple spice cake, I knew it would be a winner. There are currently two pieces left that have been sitting on my countertop for a few days, and Will has shown remarkable self-restraint by not gobbling them down in one sitting (mainly because he had an important PT test this morning...I am under the distinct impression that when he returns home this evening he will polish those bad boys off). This dessert was very easy to make, although I would allow yourself some extra time to peel, core, and slice the apples. Also, you have the option of using one of three frostings; I chose the brown butter frosting. I mean, that just screams "fall" to me. I did find that with the frosting I had to add a little extra liquid and powdered sugar, so don't be alarmed if you find yourself in the same situation. It's a very easy fix.
Source: Southern Living, October 2010

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2  cups  chopped pecans
  • 1/2  cup  butter, melted
  • 2  cups  sugar
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 2  teaspoons  ground cinnamon
  • 1  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 2 1/2  pounds  Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
  • Browned-Butter Frosting,
  • Dark Chocolate Frosting, or
  • Cream Cheese Frosting
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
2. Peel, core, and slice the apples.
3. Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
4. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended.
5. Stir in apples and 1 cup pecans. (Batter will be very thick, similar to a cookie dough.)

6. Spread batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
7. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 45 minutes).
8. Spread your choice of frosting over top of cake; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.

And here is the recipe for the browned butter frosting I used. Source: Southern Living, October 2010

Ingredients:

  • 1  cup  butter
  • 1  (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
  • 1/4  cup  milk
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
Directions:

1. Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove pan from heat immediately, and pour butter into a small bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat mixture at low speed until well blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Comments

Popular Posts