Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Sauce

I'll be honest; this recipe didn't really initially appeal to me. After living in Europe for five years, I have yet to try beef stroganoff. Two of our favorite restaurants in Hanau (a Russian restaurant and a Croatian restaurant) had stroganoff on the menu, but I was never tempted to try it. Who wants beef with noodles when you can order a filet steak with a delicious bearnaise sauce, or a filet of pork with grilled feta cheese? My husband, on the other hand, was practically salivating when I suggested this particular recipe to him the other night. He LOVES stroganoff, and while this isn't exactly a stroganoff recipe, I think it was close enough for his discriminating taste! I decided to have an open mind and give this new dish a try; after all, it wasn't the sirloin steak with mushroom sauce that had me raising my eyebrows, it was simply the presence of egg noodles. I will admit this dinner tasted a lot better than I thought it would, and I would definitely be willing to make it again.
Originally found on Elizabeth's Edible Experience
Source: Cooking Light, January 2010

Ingredients:

  • 2  cups  uncooked egg noodles (I used 3, I knew Will would want seconds)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1  pound  top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1  tablespoon  butter
  • 2  tablespoons  finely chopped shallots
  • 1  (8-ounce) package presliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1  teaspoon  minced garlic
  • 1  tablespoon  low-sodium soy sauce
  • 3  tablespoons  all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2  cups  fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
  • 1/2  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 3  fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1  teaspoon  fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Directions:

1. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.

2. While noodles cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cot pan with cooking spray. Add steak; sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cover.
3. Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes.
4. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce.
5. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
6. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add pepper, salt, and thyme sprigs. (I forgot to pick up thyme sprigs at the grocery store, so I had to cheat and use the McCormick's dried thyme. It sufficed, but fresh thyme is definitely better!). Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
7. Return beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Discard thyme sprigs. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts