Don't Jerk Me Around!

Much as I'd like to consider myself an expert on international cuisine, I have to admit there are lots of foods I've never tried, never considered trying, or just never been exposed to before. For example, Caribbean food. It SOUNDS delicious (certainly I'll never turn down anything spicy!) but I really have no idea what kind of dishes are common, which spices are used, what is considered exotic, etc. So when I found this recipe for Jamaican jerked chicken on All Recipes, I was more than willing to give it a try. All things considered, it was ridiculously simple. My food processor did most of the work for me, and even though I ended up modifying the cooking method (I sauteed the chicken on the stovetop rather than putting it under the broiler) it was absolutely delicious, filling, and altogether a perfect weeknight dinner. I really enjoyed the flavor, but I would say if you're the type of person who enjoys spicy foods, don't be afraid to add a little bit more to this recipe.
Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 habanero pepper, sliced
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch strips
Directions:

1. Combine the onion, brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, thyme, sesame oil, garlic, allspice and habanero pepper in the container of a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.*Side note: Don't worry too much about chopping the garlic, onion, thyme, garlic, and habanero pepper in advance. Your food processor will do most of that for you. 
2. Cut chicken into 1-inch strips.
3. Place the chicken into a large resealable bag, and pour in 3/4 of the sauce. Squeeze out excess air, and seal. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. 
4. Preheat your oven's broiler.*Or if you choose to do what I did, place a large skillet on your stovetop and heat about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken for about 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve hot. 




5. Remove chicken from bag, and discard marinade. Broil chicken for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once to ensure even cooking. Heat remaining sauce in a small pan, and pour over chicken when serving.

Comments

Popular Posts