Cranberry Citrus Muffins

Another successful fall breakfast project has been completed! I am obsessed with anything and everything cranberry, and clearly we live in the perfect state! When I saw bags of fresh cranberries at the grocery store last week, I grabbed a few (although I had no idea at the time what to make with them). I immediately began scouring my favorite cooking websites for a delicious recipe that included cranberries but wasn't too high in fat or sugar. Let me tell you, this was not easy. I kind of feel like Will and I have been taking advantage of my pregnancy a little too much this past week, and I'm desperately trying to balance out our greasy, high-calorie meals with lighter options. I REALLY don't feel like getting a weight gain lecture from my doctor! When I found this recipe on Cooking Light, I knew it would be perfect. I love the combination of cranberry and orange, and these muffins didn't take too long to prepare. I'm pretty sure I'll be making these again during Thanksgiving week!
Source: Cooking Light, September 1997

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2  cups  fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1  cup  granulated sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  baking powder
  • 1  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 3/4  cup  2% low-fat milk
  • 1/3  cup  light ricotta cheese
  • 1  tablespoon  grated orange rind
  • 1/2  cup  orange juice
  • 1  tablespoon  grated lemon rind
  • 2  tablespoons  vegetable oil
  • 1  tablespoon  vanilla extract
  • 2  large egg whites
  • 1  large egg
  • Cooking spray
  • 6  tablespoons  turbinado or granulated sugar
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture.

3. Combine milk and next 8 ingredients (milk through egg); stir well with a whisk.

4. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
5. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
6. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over batter (I used cane sugar, my personal preference).
7. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until done. Remove from pans immediately, and cool on a wire rack.

Comments

Popular Posts