Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my slow cooker has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's amazing how many healthy recipes I've found that utilize the slow cooker, not to mention meals like this one are ridiculously easy to prepare. About a year ago, I was searching for healthy, "summery" soups on www.sparkpeople.com, and I came across this recipe for Chicken Taco Stew. If you're on a budget or you just want to watch what you're eating lately, I highly recommend this dish. I used more boneless skinless chicken breasts, since Will likes a little more meat in the stew, and I also added a little bit of shredded Mexican cheese for garnish. A great summer soup that you can throw together in about 10 minutes!
Source: Spark People

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 16-oz can corn (drained)
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (Since I like spicy food, I used Rotel tomatoes)
1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 3)

Directions:

1. Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken. Lay chicken on top and cover.

2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. This is good eaten with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

Comments

  1. I've made this before too! It's especially great as a freezer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I love www.sparkpeople.com, I've found so many great recipes from that website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts