Scalloped potatoes and ham

This is definitely more of a "wintery" dish, but it's something my mom made every so often when I was growing up, and I really missed it! Not to mention, I ran the recipe by Will and he was all for it (I definitely married a meat and potatoes kind of guy). I can't tell you how good it feels to be cooking again on a regular basis. We're living right outside of Boston now, and even though it's an amazing city with countless delicious restaurants, I just can't get over the fact that I have my kitchen back after almost four months! I've been cooking up a storm, and I'm making a lot of new recipes. Look out, world! ;) When I was young, I always looked forward to the nights my mom made her scalloped potatoes and ham. The flavor is simple but perfect, and it's very easy to prepare (although somewhat time consuming, if you don't have leftover ham in the fridge already. I had to buy a spiral ham and cook it for a few hours before I could make this dish). One of the best parts? The leftovers are wonderful!

Ingredients:

8 peeled, sliced raw potatoes
4 cups cubed ham
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 cans (I used lowfat) cream of mushroom soup
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
pepper to taste. Do not use salt!

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter a large casserole dish
3. Layer half of the sliced potatoes, pepper, ham and onion, then add one can of soup. Repeat.
4. Add both cups of milk over the top of the whole thing, cover with tinfoil, and bake for one hour.
5. Remove cover-if potatoes look too soupy, don't worry, you will finish baking with the cover off and that will reduce the liquid, and the top will be browned and crusty. If the potatoes look too dry when you remove the casserole dish from the oven, add a little milk.
6. Bake for another 1/2 hour.

Comments

Popular Posts