White Chili

Before our early Mardi Gras calorie fest, I searched the web for tasty yet healthy dinner ideas. I'm normally a pretty tried and true chili girl (I've been making my Mom's recipe for years) but I decided I should branch out a little and give this white chili a try. It was very easy to make, and the flavor was wonderful (I was initially a little worried about it being too bland). Will intended on taking leftovers to work the next day for lunch, but he went back for not seconds, but thirds! While I'm happy that my chili was such a big hit, I will double the recipe next time so my husband doesn't have to settle for a commissary sandwich the next day for lunch.
Source: Cooking Light

Ingredients:

  • 2  teaspoons  canola oil
  • 1 1/2  cups  chopped onion (about 1 large)
  • 3  garlic cloves, minced
  • 2  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 5  teaspoons  green hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1/2  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 1 1/4  pounds  skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2  tablespoons  stone-ground cornmeal
  • 1  (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2  cup  plain fat-free yogurt
  • 2  tablespoons  thinly sliced green onions (about 1)
  • Lime wedges (optional)

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, hot pepper sauce, salt, and chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth mixture; cool.
2. Add cornmeal and beans to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk; simmer 15 minutes. Mash about 1/4 cup beans against side of pan. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Top each serving with yogurt; sprinkle with green onions. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts