Jamaican Jerked Chicken

 
Admittedly, this isn't the greatest picture I've ever taken, nor does the chicken look very appetizing, but I promise the flavor is wonderful! Will and I adore spicy foods, and a friend of mine has been raving about Jamaican jerked chicken for a long time. Frankly, I'm surprised it took me this long to give the recipe a try. I usually make some kind of chicken dish twice a week-it's cheap, healthy, and there are about a million different recipes. The only thing that was tricky about this particular recipe was that the person who originally posted it on All Recipes didn't say how long the chicken should be cooked on the grill. As a general rule, I don't grill chicken very much, so it was really kind of a shot in the dark for me. The legs, wings and drumsticks took about six minutes, but the chicken breast took almost twelve (Will and I had to keep slicing the breast open and checking to make sure it wasn't pink).White rice is a great accompaniment, along with a side of fresh veggies. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 green onion, minced
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

Directions

  1. Combine green onions, orange juice, ginger, hot pepper, lemon or lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, allspice, cinnamon and cloves. Add chicken, and marinate for 8 hours.
  2. Prepare barbecue, medium heat. Cook chicken, and drizzle with left over marinade that has been boiled for 2 to 3 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts