Fried Shrimp Remoulade

The three recipes that I am posting today I found on Elizabeth's Edible Experience. All I can say is WOW! This girl can cook! A couple of weeks before my Mardi Gras party, I was looking for some traditional Cajun/Creole recipes, and I was a little disappointed with the results from www.foodnetwork.com. I can only make so many Emeril dishes. So imagine my delight when I stumbled upon Elizabeth's blog, and found not only so many fabulous Creole recipes, but her fantastic tutorials as well.

I definitely knew I wanted to serve shrimp remoulade as an appetizer at the party, but I wanted to fry the shrimp instead of boiling them. Believe me, this was a huge step for me-I really don't enjoy frying food. Clogged arteries aside, it leaves my kitchen smelling like the inside of McDonald's and I always manage to make a horrible mess. However, I would only consider boiling the shrimp if I could buy them fresh the very same day, and that really isn't an option here in Germany. So I bought a decent-looking bag of frozen shrimp from the commissary, let them thaw, and fried them according to Elizabeth's directions. They tasted delicious, and I only had a few left over at the end of the night. Enjoy!

Source: Elizabeth's Edible Experience
Ingredients:

5 0z bag of salad greens

Remoulade Sauce:

1/2 cup Creole Mustard
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp perpared horseradish
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped heart of celery
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped parsley
1 Tbsp grated white or yellow onion
1 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
Hot Sauce

Buttermilk Fried Shrimp:

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of buttermilk (mixed with 1 tsp of Emeril's essence)
1 cup of cornmeal
12 large gulf shrimp

Directions: Remoulade Sauce:

1. Combine the first eleven ingredients and mix well. Add salt to taste.
2. Add olive oil in slow stream while whisking mixture.
3. Add the next four ingredients and mix well.
4. Add a few drops of hot sauce if a spicier flavor is desired. Sauce should be spicy and tangy.
5. Cover and chill before use. Covered and refrigerated it should keep about 3 weeks.

Buttermilk Fried Shrimp:

1. Salt and Pepper shrimp and coat them in flour shaking off excess before the next step.
2. Dip each shrimp in the buttermilk mixture.
3. Let excess buttermilk drip off and then coat the shrimp in the cornmeal.
4. Fry the shrimp in a skillet using 2 Tbsp of olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Assemble by placing 1/4 of the bag of greens on a salad plate topped with 3 fried shrimp and then spoon about 1/4 cup of remoulade sauce over the shrimp and lettuce.

Comments

Popular Posts