Honest-to-goodness healthy pepperoni pizza


I love, I mean LOVE pizza. I've often wished that someone would come up with a delicious, calorie-free pizza that I could eat every day for the rest of my life and not feel guilty. I'm guessing that won't happen anytime in the near future, so I decided to set aside my normal unhealthy pizzas and attempt to make one that was lower in fat and calories. Surprisingly, one of the things I liked the most about this pizza was the whole wheat thin crust. The original recipes suggests buying the dough from a grocery store, but I've never enjoyed store-bought pizza dough. I always think it tastes like sawdust. Instead, I found this fantastic recipe here at Sparkpeople. It was incredibly easy to make, and while I wouldn't say it's the most delicious pizza I've ever had, this will definitely be an option in the future if I'm craving pizza but want something a little lighter. A couple of things I would suggest: this recipe calls for turkey pepperoni, which doesn't have nearly as many calories as regular pepperoni. Unfortunately, it's also lacking in flavor. I used my own sauce (available at the beginning of my blog) and a couple of extra spices, such as oregano and crushed red peppers to give it a little more flavor. Also, I used only part-skim mozzarella, but next time I would also add a little shredded provolone or parmigiano reggiano.

Ingredients:

  • 1  cup  tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
  • 1  (10-oz.) package prebaked whole wheat thin Italian pizza crust
  • 1/4  cup  turkey pepperoni slices (about 24)
  • 1 1/2  cups  (6 oz.) part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions:

1. Spoon tomato-and-basil pasta sauce evenly over crust, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Top with half of pepperoni slices. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining pepperoni.
2. Bake pizza at 450° directly on oven rack 11 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Cut into 6 slices. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts