French Dip


Maybe it's the fact that Will and I are moving back to the States in a couple of months, but lately I've been craving food that is generally only available in American restaurants. (Or maybe I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the absence of doner kepaps, croquettes, and freshly grilled bratwursts in whichever US city we'll be living in!). Either way, I've never been a big sandwich fan. The only types of sandwiches I ever crave are po'boys from Louisiana and French dips. Since I refuse to attempt to make a po'boy without the delicious baguettes from New Orleans, I decided to try to re-create the French dip. I'm happy to report it was a success! It was also surprisingly simple; I just threw everything in my slow-cooker and dinner was ready 8 hours later. This dish is perfect for a weeknight or any day when you're too busy to cook a full meal.

Ingredients:

  • 4 pounds rump roast
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
  • 6 French rolls
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Directions:

  1. Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
  4. Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.

Comments

Popular Posts