Giada's White Bean Dip with Pita Chips


Okay, I admit that I've been horrible about posting lately. Truthfully, since Will has been deployed, I've had very little reason to experiment with recipes. I've always found it hard to cook for one, and coming home after work and cooking a big meal for myself honestly didn't sound all that appealing. However, many things have happened since I last posted.

1. The best news-Will's base in Iraq is closing, and he'll be home very very soon!! (Originally he was supposed to be deployed until March). Seeing as how this is his fifth deployment, we are absolutely thrilled. I can't wait for him to come home.

2. I quit my job. Since Will was supposed to be deployed over the holidays, I decided I really didn't feel like spending Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's alone this year, and I made the decision to quit my job at the end of September and fly home a week before Thanksgiving. Obviously our plans have changed since Will is coming back this month, but honestly it's been nice getting my house in order, planning for all the house guests we'll have this month, and spending time with my puppy.

3. After almost five years of living over here in Germany, the Army will be sending us back to the States this winter. Where? Good question. Will was accepted to recruiter school (hurray for no more deployments!!!) but we don't know where we'll be stationed. In any case, I am slowly trying to pack up the house, send things back to my parents in Wisconsin, and just try and get everything as organized as possible.

So, I'm sure you can see why it's been a little difficult for me to post new recipes lately! However, I saw this recipe of Giada's on www.foodnetwork.com, and I was excited to try it. First of all, this may truly be the easiest recipe I ever made. It's also very healthy, and you can pick up all the ingredients in your grocery store. (Unless, of course, you live in Germany and have to rely on the commissary...grrrr...suffice to say I had to use corn tortillas instead of pitas. It's okay, it still turned out). I was going to bring this dish to my friend Valentina's baby shower today, but unfortunately there wasn't enough to pass around. If you're serving this dish to a large group of people I would suggest doubling the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
  • 1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 pitas
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.

Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges. Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet. Pour the remaining oil over the pitas. Toss and spread out the wedges evenly. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color.

Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.

Comments

Popular Posts