Garlic and Oregano Chicken


I've made this meal a few times before, since it's easy to make on the weeknights after I get home from work, and I try and cook at least one chicken dish every week. The oregano adds a strong but not overpowering flavor, and it's easy to pair with a side of veggies and/or a side carb. I made stuffing this time, since I had a random Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing bag in my pantry, but risotto also makes a great side dish. Since I'm trying to get rid of extras in my cupboards and fridge lately, I also added a bag of frozen baby carrots that have been inhabiting my freezer for approximately two months. Instead of serving them plain, I added just a little bit of balsamic vinegar and some Greek seasoning, and voila! Dinner was satisfying and relatively healthy.

Garlic and Oregano chicken

Ingredients:

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large eggs
1 T water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Italian-flavored bread crumbs, enough to completely coat all the chicken breasts
handful of freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
1/3 cup olive oil


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, water, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper and mix well. Rinse the chicken breasts, and dip the chicken in the egg mixture.
3. On a piece of wax paper, mix the bread crumbs and cheese. Pour the olive oil over the mixture and stir until blended.
4. Roll the chicken in the bread crumb mixture until completely coated. Let the chicken dry for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
5. Lightly oil a baking sheet, and place the chicken on it. Bake for 20 minutes. With tongs, turn the chicken over and bake for another 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts